“When you come before the priest who is serving at that time, you must say to him, ‘Today I acknowledge to the LORD your God that I have entered the land the LORD swore to our fathers to give us.’” Deuteronomy 26:3 (HCSB)
There is so much gravity in this dialogue between the Israelite and the priest. Having entered the land, the Lord had promised to his forefathers; the time has come (3 years after entering-in) when the first tithe is brought. For three years, no matter what circumstances may have arisen to tempt the worshipper to steal from the Lord’s portion, he remained faithful to the Lord.
The worshipper’s testimony to the priest communicates many wonderful truths.
1) The Lord chose Israel from among the nations and promised Canaan to them.
2) The Lord was faithful to fulfill His promise.
3) The fulfilled promise was not particularly due to the merit of the recipient.
4) The Lord’s faithfulness accomplished its desired effect: Worship.
5) Because the Lord’s blessing was personal, the worshipper was inclined to recognize His corporate institutions. The office of priestly ministry is honored by the willful giving of tithes.
6) The Lord has given the worshipper a part to play in helping ensure the Levite, widow, orphan, and foreigner enjoy the corporate blessing of having entered the land, as well.
Let this be a challenge to us all. For us, worship is not solely a personal thing. Yes, Jesus is our personal Savior. But as He has saved us, personally, let’s remember that we are part of a greater community. He has plans for us personally and corporately.
If you are blessed with finances or some pertinent skill, remember that blessing is not solely for you. The Lord has chosen to pour His blessing upon you, that you would direct that blessing to others. This is so the community as a whole can be blessed in the same manner the Lord had blessed you, personally.
Hopefully, those individuals in need will respond as you have by recognizing the (above) truths about God and His great grace shown toward mankind. The Lord’s grace to others often comes from your obedient, worshipful giving.
Elevating your Faith with daily Bible reading and devotionals written by Steve Wiggins.
Stay current with what's happening at Groundworks Ministries.